"Bye, everybody! See you next week!" I yelled to no one in particular. Sam was walking from the chapel to the cafeteria and nodded to me as I opened Valerie's passenger side car door and slid inside.
She quirked an amused eyebrow in my direction and looked at Sam meaningfully. I just smiled and turned the radio to my favorite station.
"Home, here we come!" Valerie whooped as she pulled out of the Camp Tandy parking lot and headed in the direction of my house. "I'm so glad we packed my car before we had the final meeting with the counselors and had to do all those ridiculous chores. What was it you got assigned to do?"
I grimaced. "The bathrooms in the chapel. You?"
"Vacuuming inside the chapel. That vacuum cleaner should be put in a historical museum. I'm sure it's gotta be an antique."
"Yeah, so I'm gonna go ahead and change the subject. I don't want to talk or think about cleaning any longer than I have to. How awesome is it that we're going to be cabin neighbors next week?!"
Valerie nodded enthusiastically in agreement. "Yes, and I can't wait to meet my campers and go on group bike rides together and work in the air-conditioned arts & crafts building while you have to sit and stare at campers playing mini golf for an hour each day while you sweat..."
Valerie was referring to the fact that I got assigned to sit in an outside shed and hand out sticks and golf balls to kids during camper free time while she lucked out with arts and crafts. I stuck my tongue out at her, even though she was paying more attention to the road than she was to me.
"So what was it you and Andy were talking so intently about right before we left?" Valerie looked over at me with a bemused expression.
I smiled. During our last counselor meeting together, Jake had asked if anyone wanted to join the worship team that would be leading songs for the campers during chapel time every day. The only drawback I could see to volunteering was that Andy was generally pretty annoying, and since he was put in charge of selecting the worship band and leading practice, I'd have to deal with him on a daily basis. After talking to him apart from his two grody minions, however, I realized he actually wasn't so bad. I mean, if you're into the whole Fidel Castro penguin look. Which I totally wasn't. Because I'm more of a missionary kid kinda girl.
"So..." Valerie ventured. I realized I'd been silent for the last minute, caught up in my own thoughts.
"Oh. Right. Um, so I kinda volunteered to sing on the worship team even though Icky Andy is the one leading it, and he's actually not that bad when he's by himself, and don't judge me, because I love singing, okay, and, I mean, the kids deserve to hear my incredible voice too, right, I mean Valerie, think of the kids."
By the time I was finished with my run-on monologue, Valerie was almost in tears from laughing so hard.
"Think of the kids? Seriously? Where do you come up with this stuff?"
I shrugged, feigning indifference. "I don't know, my brain?"
"Wow, you, my friend, are special."
"I'll take that as a compliment. Oh, by the way, who did you get as a JC for next week?!"
Valerie's eyes lit up with excitement. "I actually got Judd's sister, Harper, and before you say anything, I met her and talked to her and she seems really cool."
"Wow, I guess immaturity isn't a genetic thing then," I said, thinking of Judd.
Valerie snorted. "Guess not. So, who did you get?"
"I actually got two."
Valerie, sensing the dread behind my monotone voice, looked at me in confusion.
"One of them is Charity."
Valerie winced. "Ouch, on the first week, really?"
"Well, I mean, someone had to get her, right? Might as well be me."
"Yeah, I guess. I suppose it was too much to hope that the only drama we would experience this summer would be from the campers."
I laughed. "Good one, Val. But I'm sure there's bound to be plenty of drama this summer."
"True that. So, who else did you get?"
"Some girl named Hadley who apparently couldn't come to counselor training week because she was on a mission trip in Europe somewhere."
"Well, that's exciting," Valerie offered slowly. "Maybe she'll be the most awesome person you've ever met and you two will become best friends."
"Okay, first of all, Missy, I already have one best friend, and she's awesome, and I'm not in the market for another one."
"I was hoping you'd say that," Valerie interjected.
"Second of all, you missed my turn."
"What?" Valerie said.
"My street. You missed it. It was back there."
"Dangit, every time!" Valerie grumbled as she executed a brilliant 3-point turn and headed back to my house. "I guess, sub-consciously, I wanted to keep talking to you a little bit longer."
I chuckled. "Yeah. That must be it."
"Well, best friend, I guess this is it," Valerie said, pulling into my driveway.
"Guess so," I replied, reaching for the door handle.
"Well, have fun doing laundry and hanging out with your mom. Call me if you get bored. Or if you're having Dustin cravings and you need a distraction. Or if you wanna talk about Sam...or Andy..."
"Geez, Valerie, you make it sound like all I talk about is boys!" I said, acting offended.
"I mean, yeah. You do," she shot back, eyes twinkling in hilarity.
"One of these days, Valerie, one of these days..."
"Not likely. Now, get out of my car before I kidnap you and take you home with me!"
I laughed. "Maybe next weekend." I reached in the backseat, grabbed my bag, and climbed out of Valerie's car.
"See you on Sunday!" she yelled, rolling down her window. "Try not to think about Sam too much!"
"Who's Sam?" my mom asked, walking out of the house and overhearing Valerie.
My face reddened. "Um...just some guy. Don't worry, Mom. We have all weekend to talk about it."
And I have all weekend to dream about it, I thought to myself with a smile. See you next week, Camp Tandy.
So, what is your book-writing strategy for the year? Are you finishing up Camp Tandy first or moving on with the next Ravensboro book?
ReplyDelete